Carrots are a frequent ingredient in many salads – mostly in raw form, but often fried carrot salad ! Today I would like to put up a super crunchy combination salad with carrots, cabbage and onion. Those of you in the US can readily buy grated carrots and cabbage in supermarkets and save some time pealing/grating them (though at an extra expense 🙂 ).
What you need to have:
1. Grated carrots- 2 cups
2. Grated cabbage- 1 cup
3. Onion chopped (fine lengthwise)- 1/2 cup
4. Grated coconu-t 1/4 cup
5. Corriander leaves- A handful
6. Green chillies 2
7. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Red chillies – 1
4. Curry leaves – 2 strings Ingredients of Carrot and Cabbage salad
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate carrots and keep it aside. Wash and chop cabbage fine as shown in the image above.
2. Peal and chop onions as well lengthwise, grate coconut and also chop green chillies and coriander leaves fine as shown in the image above.
3. Crush chopped green chillies and salt together and keep it aside so that it can be mixed just before serving.
4. Mix chopped onions, grated cabbage, carrots, coconut aand chopped corriander leaves in a serving bowl and squeeze lemon juice into it.
5. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a flame. On the oil heating add mustard seeds and as it sputters add Asafoetida power, red chilli pieces and lastly curry leaves. Add this seasoning to the serving bowl in step 4.
6. Mix green chilli and salt mixture to the salad and mix well with your hands. Ready to serve Carrot Cabbage salad
Serve it as a side dish with rice/chapathis or just have it as a light dinner.
How long it takes: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 5-7 people